A city situated at the north-west end of the Ambrakian (Amvrakikos) Gulf. The population is about 13,000.
In Antiquity it was called Berenikia, and founded by the King Pyrros in 290 ca., but there is no ancient site to visit inside the town. The present name Prevesa dates back at least to the end of the thirteenth century.
The town was occupied by the Venetians in 1499. In 1699 it was handed to the Ottomans by the treaty of Carlovitz, but in 1717 the Venetians regained its control. In 1797, Prevesa came into French domination together with the Ionian islands, but the next year it was recovered by Ali Pascha, and remained under the Ottoman rule until 1912.
The town itself has little attraction to tourists, although the antiquity-lovers are likely to stay here to visit Nikopolis or Kassopi sites. There are some hotels that charge 40-60 euros for a double room, while we did not notice any sign of "domatio". There are quite a lot of fish tavernas in a quarter close to the sea, that offers fresh fish for reasonable price. The town was not tourist-friendly; we found the tourist office closed during the hours it should not, and the Prevesa KTEL man was not only rude, but gave us wrong information.
The clock tower in the photo above belongs to the Metropolitan Church of Charalambos, and it was constructed in 1756.