The island's name "lefkas" - white- is said to derive from the white cliff at the southern end of the island. Generally speaking, the Ionian islands are richer in water comparing to the Aegean islands, and Lefkada is no exception. It is very green and has interesting vegetation.
How to get there
As the island is connected by a causeway to the mainland, it is reachable by bus. Besides there are ferries from Kefalonia and Ithaki, to Nidrí, and to Vassilikí during the summer.
The photo above is the beach of Nidri' on the west coast of the island. In front of Nidri' is situated the island of Scorpios, possession of late Aristoteles Onassis. According to what we heard from a waiter working in Nidri', the islet is now owned by the grand-daughter of Ari Onassis, but usually is deserted.
History of Levkas (Levkada)
Levkas was colonised in 640 BC by the Corinthians, about a century after the colonisation of Corcyra. During the Peloponnesian War, Levkas fought on the Spartan side. The island was sacked by the Corcyrans in 436 BC, and 10 years after by the Athenians.
In 230 BC, the city of Levkas became the capital of the Akarnanians. When Rome and Philip of Macedon crashed, they refused to side with the Romans (Livy, XXXIII, 17).
The island florished under the Romans, and Levkas city sent the bishop to the Council of Nicaea in 325.
In the thirteenth century, the island was handed over to Giovanni Orsini, when Mary, daughter of Nikeforos Comnenos, bishop of Epiros, married him and brought Levkas as dowry.
In 1479, the island was occupied by the Ottomans, but the domination oscillated between the Turks and the Venetians until 1718 when it was formally given to Venetia. During the 18th century, this island was devasted by four big earthquakes.
- Robin Barber, Greece (Blue Guide), London/ A&C Black, 2001 (revised reprint of the 1995 sixth edition), pp. 491-492.